Search This Blog

An Honest Account of Love, Grief and Walking With God
Finding God's Goodness in Life's Disappointments

Wednesday, September 30, 2015

Weary and Burdened? You Do Not Have to Be

Weary and Burdened? You Don't Have to Be
Kathleen Maxwell-Rambie
September 30th, 2015 copyright

Talking to several friends and those in need recently, I have noticed a common denominator-weariness and burdens. The business and trials of this life often make one weary and/or burdened, however, the antidote is found in the Bible. Matthew 11:28-30 says “Come to me, all you who are weary and burdened, and I will give you rest. Take my yoke upon you and learn from me, for I am gentle and humble in heart, and you will find rest for your souls. For my yoke is easy and my burden is light.” (NIV) 

As I read this passage, I discovered several key words: come, learn, give, yoke, gentle, humble and rest. 

The first thing we must do when weary and burdened is come or run to the one that can really help-Jesus. The good news is he is the expert in fixing problems, always has time and never gets tired of us bringing our troubles to him. Do you run to God when you are tired and burdened? 

The second thing that is important is that Jesus loves to give  rest in times of need and promises to give it to us when we come to him and do things his way. Rest is a gift our heart can experience if we choose to trust him and give our anxieties to him. Rest makes us fresh and able to handle things better. It is a weapon we can use.

God’s  way of getting rid of weariness and burdens is to partner with him. He says to “take his yoke and learn of him.” A yoke is a wooden beam, something strong and enables us to pull a heavy load. We live on earth but God offers partnership and heavenly help. Learning his ways means not insisting on doing things our way or by ourselves. When I was raising my three children, it was always so much easier on everyone when my children were eager to learn and teachable. When they insisted they knew everything, did not listen to our council, consequences often followed.   

God’s council for us is to be gentle and humble in times of testing, trials, weariness, conflict and anxiety. I was in a tough situation one time and felt God say, “be gentle and humble.” Handling things delicately diffuses heated situations. I have also learned that laying down my right to be right helps me win in situations. 

Years ago, I was frustrated with my late husband about something. As I prayed about it, I felt like God said, “Kathleen, you are right in this situation, but can you lay down your right to be right for the sake of the relationship?” I had to choose in that moment and the moments that followed, if I wanted to do things my way or God’s way. Choosing humility over pride always wins and gentleness and humility brings rest and peace into situations.

I am convinced from personal experience that Matthew 11:28-30 helps in times of fatigue and pressure. I challenge you to practice this passage by pushing weariness and the cares of this world away from you by running to Jesus. Partner with him to carry the load by giving the situation to him, doing things his way  and resting/trusting in him by choosing gentleness and humility. 

Kathleen is a native of the Hill Country and is passionate about helping people discover their value and worth. Contact her at kathleenmaxwell1@gmail.com or visit her blog on www.themaxwellminutes.blogspot.com

No comments:

Post a Comment